Pacific Crest Trail


Well well well. As you probably all know from my facebook post or from speaking to me, I am no longer hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. After about 900 miles, I realized that I just wasn’t happy hiking 15-20 miles every day. That’s not to say I didn’t have some great days, and great experiences, but frankly, the bad times started to overtake the good. I will certainly miss the camradery of hiking with great people who are sharing in my experience, and there’s the obvious thing of not finishing the trail. However, after alot of thinking, I have decided to DRIVE along the trail, stopping at whatever town or road I can to meet up with Mike and be his food resupplier and support. So far, it’s going great! I have been driving the VERY scenic route between towns in order to intersect the trail, including some relatively sketchy dirt roads. It’s been really great to be able to drive though these areas in ways that most people in their right minds would never do :) . Right now, I am sitting at the public library in Etna, CA, a charming little town close to Oregon. Mike should be arriving from his 20 mile hike today around 5, so I’ve got plenty of time to kill. Overall, I really feel that I made the right decision to drive the rest of the way, and I’ve been having a great, albeit very different than before, adventure :) .


It’s been about 3 weeks since my last update, and alot has happened! Most notably, on June 9th, on Forester Pass (the highest point of the PCT, at 13,200 feet), Michael proposed to me! It was a wonderful moment. We were entirely alone (our friend Jeff was around, but scrambling up to a peak), and already beaming from our day’s accomplishment. It was a very surreal, wonderful moment, and the rest of the day I was floating on air. I can’t wait until we can start planning the wedding!

The scenery has become more and more spectacular as our time in the Sierras wears on. Granite peaks, crystal clear lakes, and cascading water over rock has been dominating our days, making it exciting to discover what will come next. Almost every day, we climb a mountain pass, and descend down the other side to adventures unknown. Definitely alot more dynamic than the desert, although the desert was still beautiful. The downside of the Sierras, though, is the overwhelming amount of mosquitos. Even with a coating of 98% deet bug repellent, the effects seem to only last a few hours.

It’s been really fun hiking with the people we’ve been hiking with as of late. Some of these people are called Clutch, Dayman, and Little Bear. When we arrived at Kearsarge pass, Jeff’s dad and friend had hiked in our food resupply so we wouldn’t have to hike out of the pass, which we were super grateful for. Our friends, however, did still have to go into Bishop, so they graciously took down a list of things the rest of us wanted. There was a mention or two of possible Taco Bell being brought back, but I didn’t want to get my hopes up too much. They were gone for the entire day, as getting into Bishop required hitchhiking several times (Bishop was 50 miles from the other side of the pass). The evening was waning, and everyone was hesitant in making their dinners, hoping that somehow, miraculously, our friends would return with food. Everyone who remained kept looking longingly at the top of the pass, hoping to see someone coming over the top. Finally, it started to get dark, and we realized that our friends may not have been able to get a ride back to the pass. Just as everyone was about to start their dinners, we heard a yell from the top of the pass. It was Clutch, and two other people. A collective “YEEAAAAAAHHH” was screamed up to the top, and we waited for him to reach the bottom. About 20 minutes later, in rolls Clutch, with a giant bag of tacos, and lots of whiskey. It was a PCT miracle ;) . All in all, the three of them brought back 48 tacos, a giant bag of hot sauce, and two handles of whiskey. I had even picked a bunch of wild onions, which everyone was cutting up and putting on their tacos. We heated up the semi-soggy tacos on rocks next to the fire like hotplates. It was a great, great night. And I don’t even LIKE taco bell…

Well, after a bunch of days of resting in Mammoth with Mike’s brother Neil and girlfriend Sara, we are heading back out to the trail. Thanks so much to those guys for letting us crash here. We even had a bbq with about 25 of our trail friends the other day. Hikers can put down alot of food!! I just hope with our extra off-days that we will ultimately be able to see alot of those people in the future on the trail.


6/3/12 – Day…?

Well, sorry for the long lapse! This is going to have to be a short one, too, since we are trying to get our lazy butts back on the trail soon.

After Los Angeles, we started making our way into the Mojave. We passed mile 500, which was exciting! At mile 518, we reached “Hikertown Hostel,” a popular, albeit very strange, hiker destination…Hikertown is apparently owned by a former Disney Exec who has more money than he knows what to do with. Hikertown consists of a bunch of “old west” buildings (which I think are only there for looks…), trailers (included is his old production trailer, although that one’s not for sleepin’ in…) which cost $10 for the night, a lounge building with couches, a kitchen and table, showers, laundry, etc. In other words, everything a hiker dreams of. They served dinner for donations, which included salad, bbq beans, potatoes, and a delicious bbq pork sammich. mmMMM! We hadn’t even planned to stay overnight in hikertown, as we needed to do at least 20 miles a day to reach Tehachapi by Saturday to meet up with Mike’s parents. Of course, vortices can be hard to escape.

We decided on a slight change of plans. Instead of hiking through the desert, we decided to stay in Hikertown, and have Mike’s parents pick us up there. A great thing about that decision, besides more down time obviously, is that Mike’s parents, who had been looking into possibly getting a dog or two, quickly decided to adopt two of the golden retriever mix puppies that Hikertown was looking to find homes for! I did post a picture on Facebook, and next time I get to update I’ll try and post some pics there.

We went into Mojave with Mike’s parents, and had an AMAZING weekend of relaxing in a hotel, drinking wine, getting some shopping done, eating some awesome food, and just general recovering. I also need to thank Rebeca and Mike for allowing me to utilize their room’s giant jacuzzi tub to take a nice, long, epsom salt soak :D . Seriously though, if you guys are reading this, thank you so much for everything!!

After Mojave, we reassessed our situation, and decided to get dropped off further ahead. Alright! ok! We cheated! We are big, fat cheaters and we skipped part of the trail. About 120 miles, in fact. But you know what? We had to keep on a schedule so we can get our resupply in Kearsarge lakes…and also…you know….other rationalizations ;) . It’s alright, though. Honestly, we missed the flat desert where we’d be walking along an aqueduct for about 40 miles, so if we were going to miss part of the trail, that’s the part i’d pick. We of course could come back and finish that section after we’re done,  but we’ll see how we’re feeling ;) . At any rate, walking about 2,540 miles instead of 2,663 miles is just fine by me.

After getting dropped off at Bird Spring pass, we made our way to Kennedy Meadows, near the start of the Sierras. Specifically, we have been staying here: It’s been really great relaxing, and seeing a lot of people who we HAD hiked with near the beginning but had quickly passed us up ;) . The general store has been serving meals, and Mike and I have got to stay in a small trailer the past few days. Today (at some point!) we will depart and make our way to the Sierras. Despite the high elevations (and my inevitable breathing issues), i’m pretty excited to hit what is arguably the most scenic part of the trail.


5/21/12 – Day 42: Update from Mike

So, here we are, almost a month and a half into the trail. So much has happened already- mostly a lot of walking. We have made our way thru Laguna, San Jacinto, San Bernardino, and the San Gabriel mountains. Right now I’m sitting in the apartment I was living in with friends before starting the PCT. Strange. While the trekking can be tough at times, overall the experience has been overwhelmingly rewarding.

When we started, a full day of hiking was 10-12 miles. Hiking in to Agua Dulce, we covered 25 miles. Now, when i start daydreaming, Jamie pulls away from me. Sometimes I can’t catch back up until she stops to take a photo. It hasn’t been easy. Every week we have had to push ourselves to do more miles, but I feel like it’s starting to get easier to cover the miles.

When on the trail, motivation is key, and although many of the joys we experience are simple, they are deeply felt and therefore deeply motivating. We have come across hiker friendly towns with restaurants full of 1000+ calorie meals and cold, cold beer. We have stumbled on ice chests of cold, cold sodas and snacks (and sometimes  beer).  We have been supported with giant water caches way up on high hot mountain saddles. We have been lifted up by people that just want to give, help, do anything to make hiking something greater than walking and camping, for nothing but your gratitude.

Then there are the vistas. Oh my! I have lived in California my whole and it continues to surprise me with its many treasures. The Pacific Crest is a broad line in the sand. When Pacific Storms hit they make their way to the mainland they eventually get caught up in the mountains. On the other side of those mountains is desert lying in the rain shadow. The Pacific Crest is the line where the rain shadow begins. The trail weaves its way across the transitional zone and through either side of the line. One day you are walking up a huge wash in the desert, the next you are in the pines walking on snow. There are times you can see mountains far, far in the distance that you passed thru weeks ago. Many mornings we have woken up overlooking the marine layer and island peaks in the sky.

When you spend so much time on the trail you get to see much more of everything. Lizards are king. They are everywhere, scurrying across the trail, running under your feet, doing pushups in the sun on a rock.  I ran into my first snake just the other day. I did a cartoon heel stop, sliding across the dirt. I almost fell right in front of the baby rattler. It didn’t even budge and as i moved away, Jamie approached for a picture and it slithered off.

You also start to get a sense for how that flora changes as you change elevation. A flower you haven’t seen for days will suddenly appear again as you descend down the side of some mountain. The next day you are ascending all day to finally arrive back to the sweet fresh smell of pine.

Finally, there are the people. Before you leave you hear a lot that you are crazy for doing this. When you are out there you are left with all the crazies. There is a strong sense of comradery between the thru-hikers. Meeting someone once is often enough to be excited about the second encounter. When you roll into a town and catch up with some friends you haven’t seen in a week, it feels good to sit around fire with some cold beers and silly stories.

So now we make the long approach to the Sierras. I can’t wait to see those white caps off in the distance. Thank you for reading and following our adventure.

From Jamie:

Hi all! Sorry about the persistant lack of pictures. It’s so hard to find time! Unfortunately, it’s a huge pain trying to do it on our small, slow laptop, so I’ll probably have to wait until after the trip to REALLY get into them. Here are a few in the meantime, though :)

Nothing to see here...just randomly distributed unexploded munitions...

One of those lovely vistas Mike was talking about ;)

Hanging out with our friends at Warner Springs community center

My favorite kind of butterfly is one that lets me take pictures of it ;)

The first rattler I ran into. I was so excited!

I’ll try to throw a few more up next time I get a day off :) .
It’s been great to be in Los Angeles for the past few days to see family and a few friends. It’s also very surreal to be sitting here at our friend’s house, knowing in a few short hours we will be back on the trail.
As Mike said, we hiked 25 miles the other day- my longest to date! I have to admit, I had serious doubts about being able to do that. It’s definitely helped my confidence a bit to know that I’m able to hike that far. It was definitely really painful, though! It was still a great night, though. We had hiked that far so that we could reach a popular PCT hiker destination, called “Hiker Heaven,” friday night. Hiker Heaven is run by a woman who has a large property in Agua Dulce. She provides accommodations (either in a trailer, or giant canvas tents with cots she has set up), showers (and any toiletry you could need), Wi-fi, computers, phone usage, laundry (and also provides loaner clothes so that you can wash everything you’re wearing), some food, movies, etc….ALL for free. I don’t know her story, but apparently there’s a book out there by her called “Zero Days.” I’ll have to check it out. Anyway, the place was amazing, and really had everything we could’ve wanted. Hobbling in after 25 miles was so worth it. Some of our friends were there, and everyone seemed excited that we made it (people that never met us were saying “oh, we’ve heard about you- glad you made it!” Felt pretty good. Jeff’s dad was even there, and grilled us up burgers, corn on the cob, and potatoes. What a welcome.
OH- I keep omitting a crucial part of our story: We have trail names! If you weren’t aware, on the PCT, pretty much everyone goes by a “trail name.” It’s pretty fun, and I find myself remembering trail names much better than real ones! My trail name is Bluejay, for lots of reasons: My favorite color is blue, I love birds, my name starts with “J,’ etc :) . I like it. At first I felt strange introducing myself as…well…NOT me, but now I think it’s fun. It’s actually kind of strange when (this rarely happens) someone DOES introduce themselves with their real name! Mike’s name is “Doc.” It’s a character from an Edward Abbey book, although most people end up thinking he’s a medical doctor. Mike likes to help perpetuate this by writing doctor-type things in the trail registers.
Well, it’s about time to be hittin’ the ole dusty trail again. Next, we travel through the Mojave (i’m expecting this to be my LEAST favorite part), and then to the Sierras. I’ll try to post more pictures when I have time! Thanks for reading!

5/11/12 – Day 32!

Man…Sorry for the long lapse! Much to my chagrin, I haven’t had internet access since…well…about 4/26 :( .

First of all, today is exactly one month since we started on the trail! We are currently 342 miles in, and as I said, staying at Jeff’s mom’s house near Cajon Pass. Speaking of which, i’m trying not to think about the next several days, because it’s going to be the hardest climbing on the trip so far!

After spending a few off-days in Idyllwild, it was mentally hard for me to get back to the trail. We had to get a ride back to Paradise Valley, and then hike back towards Idyllwild, which took several days. Mike actually hiked in himself and did a 24 mile day so that he could meet up with Jeff and his dad, since there was no way I could pull off a day like that. Instead, I hiked with a lovely British couple, Neil and Tanya, for the day, and met up with Mike and Jeff in the afternoon. I’m glad I didn’t do that hike.

Coming down from Idyllwild was fun. Fuller ridge, which people seemed to be nervous about, turned out to be nothing more than a fun hike in the snow :) .

There have been a few odd coincidences and milestones lately…on day 20, I hiked 20 miles (my longest hike to that point) AND we crossed the 200 mile mark. Weird, right? Then, on day 30, we crossed the 300 mile mark!

On day 21, after hiking down Fuller Ridge, we came to where the trail went under an overpass at the I-10, and encountered some trail magic. A trail angel had left lots of goodies, including a cooler full of cold beer, and two others full of sodas and water. Slowly, a few other hikers we knew arrived. There we were, hanging out under a bridge like hobos, drinking beers. It was amazing.

On day 22, we passed through what was definitely one of the best break spots ever. It was called “Whitewater River,” and was pretty much just that. A flowing, clear, beautiful river-not too cold-with sandy beaches and shade abounding. Some hikers had even built up a pool made of rocks. It was awesome. And hard to leave.

On day 26 (cinco de mayo) we got into Big Bear, and ate some mexican food and margaritas. And chips and salsa. Lots of chips and salsa. The next day, Jeff’s dad, our friend Matt and his dad and friend, Mike’s brother, and my sister came out to meet us. We hung out at Holcomb valley, near big bear, and playe frisbee golf and rock climbed (well, not me, but some people did :) . It was great to see all those people!

Two days ago, we stopped at Deep Creek Hot Springs, which was awesome. It’s always entertaining to watch guys and gals running (literall- this one guy ran everywhere) around with their naked parts flopping in the breeze. The hot springs felt amazing, and we camped right on the sand…Camping is generally not allowed within a mile of the springs, but apparently, it’s ok for PCT hikers :) .

Yesterday, I hiked my longest hike ever: 21 miles to Silverwood Lake. It was definitely exhausting, but i’m happy that i’m working my way up!

Oh- we have finally encountered the infamous “Poodle Dog Bush”- a plant that can inflict anything from a rash to severe respiratory destress. It takes over in burn areas, and was EVERYWHERE for several miles. Luckily, someone was nice enough to write in sharpie on a log beneath the first one, “Danger, poodle dog bush” with an arrow pointing up toward the plant. Between the poison oak, rattlesnakes, and poodle dog bush, this trail is becoming a gauntlet!

Well, I’m gonna watch a movie and drink some wine. Thanks for reading!



4/26/12 – Day 16

Hello, all! The past five days has had its ups and downs…well, lots of ups and downs ;) .

After having a delicious breakfast from the wonderful people at Warner Center, we headed off on the trail. We were walking across beautiful meadows with wildflowers in full bloom. After crossing a pipe gate into a pasture, I could see horses in the distance. Lots of horses. As we approached, they seemed curious. We talked to them, hoping they would get that we were friendly.  They all donned heart-shaped brands. One of them approached me, and I reached out to pet it. A few seconds later, a little horse approached me from behind, wanting in on the action. I was in heaven.

Probably my favorite moment thus far.

After that, it was a hard uphill climb to camp. Let’s just say, my hormones were not delicately balanced at the time, so it was not such a great night.

Day 13- A miracle occurred. We had been hiking for about 8 miles, and planning to stop shortly for lunch, provided we could find shade somewhere. Mike and I were alone, as the rest of the group had gotten ahead. As we came to a dirt road crossing, we could see Jeff, sans bag, standing in the roadway.  In his hand were three cans Budweiser. Our angel from heaven.

Apparently, there is a “trail angel” that owns a house down the road, and has opened it to hikers. We arrived to find a house, our friends, a cooler full of beer, sodas, reese’s peanut butter cups, and water. It was truly an oasis in the desert…and a hard one to leave at that! The rest of the night was 9 more miles of hiking, to make my longest to date hike: 18 miles. I don’t think I have ever experienced such sore feet or legs :( . Tears were definitely involved at some point.

Day 14- I was pretty traumatized from the hike the day before, so I wasn’t in the best mood in the beginning. By the end of the day, though, I was feeling pretty good. The descent into Paradise Valley was beautiful. Fog was settled in the hills, and lenticular clouds were forming around San Jacinto. As we neared Highway 74, our 15 mile stopping point, we could see people and a vehicle. As we approached, two trail angels greeted us. “You guys want some soda? Chips and salsa? Candy? Hand sanitizer? String cheese?” “Yes, yes, yes, and yes!!”  At that exact moment, another car pulled up, and out came our friend Clutch, who had hitched a ride earlier to Idyllwild. An 18 pack in hand and a variety of tobacco.  That kind of timing only happens in movies. After getting our fill of snacks, we headed to the grassy meadow to camp. It was a good night.

Day 15- We all walked a mile down the road to Paradise Valley Cafe, where we enjoyed a decent meal and picked up our resupply. Because weather was threatening to stall our hike to Idyllwild, we decided to get a ride in on Wednesday. Instead of taking our planned days off on Thursday and Friday, we decided to stay Wednesday and Thursday, get a ride back down to Paradise Cafe Friday morning, and hike the 28 miles back up in two days. We had room reservations at the Fireside Inn, and when we arrived, we were able to get a better room for the same price. It’s dangerous how much I want to stay here! The cabin has a livingroom, full kitchen, bedroom with a king bed, and a bunk room with two twin beds. We had a full house, with Clutch, Shameless, Pink, and Jeff (now “Supergirl”). The guys are heading to Kick Off weekend, but we’re really hoping to be able to catch up with them again on the trail. They are some great people…and hilarious! We randomly saw a few other couples we hadn’t seen in awhile, and it already feels like they’re old friends.

The hospitality in Idyllwild has been really amazing. There are banners and signs welcoming PCT hikers and offering discounts, and we have had multiple people wish us well and good luck, and seem genuinely excited in what we are doing.

Tonight, Mike and I enjoyed a great dinner, and are enjoying the fireplace in our room and a bottle  of wine. I plan to take a long, long bath and take every advantage of these luxuries I can before we set off on a long, possibly snowy hike tomorrow!

Starting out at the Southern Terminus


Update to the update! Apparently, the link I posted for the spot was only for the first location? My bad. Thanks for letting me know, Sam! It wasn’t you- it was me ;) THIS should be the correct link:

Please let me know if it’s not working!

4/20/12- Day 11

Well, well, well. This is the first chance I’ve gotten to update!

Now, let me try to sum up the last eleven days….

Day 1: We got a ride from a “trail angel” (basically a person who volunteers to help out PCT hikers) named “Girlscout” to the trailhead in Campo at 7am. It was my birthday, and Michael had bought me cupcakes and a few beers to celebrate. Unfortunately, it was POURING down rain. Oh yeah, and we had no rain gear. That day wasn’t so fun. We camped by lots and lots of poison oak. Also, not fun…I now apparently have the worst case of poison oak i’ve ever had in my life. wah wah wah…

Day 2/3: Hiked to a proper campground, called “Lake Morena.” We stayed there an extra day because of a forecasted storm that came late. During the rainy morning, we had a “coed bathroom party” in the Men’s room, where we all hung our stuff to dry, made coffee and breakfast, and generally hunkered down. We met some really awesome people there, who we’ve pretty much been on pace with. Some of their trail names are “Shameless,” “Clutch,” and “Pink.” Shameless likes to hike in his briefs. Just one reason for his name :) .

Day 4: Hiked about 10 miles to “Yellow Rose Spring.” Camped ina  lovely spot near some oaks and a stream :)

Day 5: Definitely the most miserable day so far…at least, until the evening! The day started out lovely, but as we climbed in elevation, became wet, then slushy, then just…well…terrible. We hiked almost 13 miles (my longest hike up until that point), about 8 of which was in 6-8 inches of sloshy snow. I have to admit, I was pretty much in tears by the end of it. Finally, around 6pm, we came to Mt. Laguna, where we got a room at a lodge. I don’t think I’ve EVER appreciated a bathtub so much as that night. Between night and morning, I took two showers and soaked my stiff limbs for over an hour.  Also, I was very happy to enjoy a bottle of wine from the store whilst watching Futurama on a tiny television. The little things, ya know? ;)

Day 6: Hiked about 7-8 miles (a nice break after the previous day!) to a campground called ”Pioneer Mail.” It was the second of two proper campsites we’ve stayed at so far (the other ones are generally “campsites” which amount to a relatively flat spot where you can pitch a tent). Some trail angel had left a cache of drinkable water, and cans of beef stew! It was a good, good night.

Day 7: My longest hike to date! 16 miles to a place called “Rodriguez Spur trail.” Since it was dry and not too cold, we cowboy camped (didn’t use a tent). The stars were amazing.

Day 8: Went to Julian, a tiny little western-type town with alot of charm and some actual restaurants. On the way to the road, I saw a rattlesnake! It was just crossingt the trail in front of us. Of course, I whipped out the old camera and got lots closer. It didn’t like that much, and starting rattling at me and coiling. Go figure! I backed off, but we ended up having to walk WAY around, because every time we approached the trail, it rattles at us. I like snakes alot. Michael, not so much. We had caught a ride into town from a lady in a pickup who randomly cried several times.  Oh, and her truck ran out of gas on the way there. OH, and her truck overheated as well. Very interesting ride indeed ;) . On the way back, we got a ride from someone who worked for the PCTA, who gave us some good tips for the trail ahead.

Day 9: A pretty brutal 14 mile hike to a big water cache. It was the most glorious site I had seen all day. We all camped right next to it. Also, I almost walked INTO a rattlesnake! I rounded a bend, and didn’t even realize it was there until I heard the rattle. I would’ve taken pictures, but I was too busy trying not to die from a heart attack.

Day 10: A 13 mile hike to San Ysidro creek. Early in the morning, I saw a “Rosy Boa.” It was a beautiful, and very docile, snake. It wouldn’t move off the trail even when I practically picked it up with my trekking pole. I was very attempted to do some amateur snake ranglin’, but I wasn’t sure if they carried Salmonella ;) .We stopped at an area called “Barrel Springs,” where there were amazing treasures waiting for us! Sodas in the spring trough, left by maintenence crews for hikers, and a guy (“Lawrence, the ‘Spring Guy’,” who gave us some cinnamon rolls. It’s amazing how those types of things can become the best things on earth when you’re not used to having them. On the way to San Ysidro creek, we came across some cows on the trail. I mean ON the trail. Five of them, all staring us down. We walked around, but a few of them started creepily following us. I’m guessing cows aren’t usually aggressive, but i didn’t want to take any chances! We camped on a sandy spot right next to the creek. We awoke to find multiple cows staring us down, relatively close to the tent. Luckily, Michael scared them away with an improvised yoga routine.

…Which brings us to today! I’m sitting right now in an air-conditioned community center in a place called “Warner Springs.” Some awesome people are cooking up cheap and awesome breakfasts and lunches, and selling resupply goods in an improvised store. Oh yeah, and they have internet ;) .

So, to sum things up- I’ve been VERY sore, and pushing myself VERY hard, but I feel that I’m getting stronger every day. Sometimes, i’m miserable. Sometimes, I’m elated. In general, I am having an awesome experience. We’ve surpassed 100 miles already, and the longer we go, the more I feel that we really have a good chance at this! Thanks, everyone, for your continued support. I hope everyone’s doing great, and I will try to update soon (and hopefully post pictures! The cardreader on this computer doesn’t seem to be working..)


Hello, all!

As most of you know, Michael Mallery Jr, Jeffrey Peterson and I are embarking on what should hopefully be an amazing journey this Wednesday. Along the way, I plan to update this page with pictures, and general news about how the trip is going.  If all goes well, we are hoping to reach the Northern Terminus (Manning Park, Canada) around the end of September-early October. If you are interested in viewing our temporary itinerary, you can find it here:


Note: The dates listed in the “arrival” column are approximate. We are hoping to stick with our planned mileage as much as possible, but there almost certainly will be times that we are a day or two off. We plan to adjust this itinerary as we go, so if you’re planning on meeting us somewhere to hike or bring some food or goodies out, make sure you check the latest version. Also, please try to call if possible! We may not have reception at the moment, but we will probably never be more than a day or two out of a service area. Our shared cell phone number is 213-400-2630. Also, if you are planning on sending anything out and would like to know what we are in dire need of, we’ll be glad to tell you ;)

The Spot

We will be carrying a GPS device, called “The Spot,” which will track our exact location. Basically, we push a button, and it will generate a pinpoint on a map which holds the last 7 days worth of pinpoints. I apologize for my misunderstanding of how this works. I told alot of people they could be added to an e-mail list, but apparently this list is VERY limited. However, there is a link that anyone can click on and view our last 7 days worth of progress. If you’d like to check it out, check on the link above.



Thanks to Ryan and Cameron for letting us stay with them for two and a half months! Our mutual love of wine, cooking, and TV shows made it a great experience! ;)


Flying over the Sierra mountains a few days ago…hard to believe we’ll soon be WALKING through these!


  1. Posted April 11, 2012 at 3:28 am by Douglas | Permalink

    I’m absolutely stoked for all of you. I will definitely be staying tuned for the updates! You all are EXTREME!
    All the best. Have fun!

  2. Posted April 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm by Ryan & Cameron Stell | Permalink

    Day 1! Happy Birthday Jamie!!! Cam and I are so excited for you guys. We love you and wish you the best of luck!

  3. Posted April 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm by Tomas | Permalink

    Have a great time and be safe, guys. Very envious of you.


  4. Posted April 21, 2012 at 4:00 am by Roger Steele | Permalink

    This will be fun to follow you two!

    Roger & Kathy

  5. Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:02 pm by Aunt Nancy | Permalink

    Just read your post. I’m very excited for you both. What a awesome experience!!! I visited Julian in the fall when they have the apple festivals. I loved the country charm that the town had. We do at some point hope to catch up with you. I won’t be able to fiqure out a time until after Melissa’s baby is born. She is due May 25th and I am going to Australia for a month to help out and spoil my new grand baby :) We are heading to Palm Desert for 2 weeks the beginning of May. How are we able to send some supplies to you?? Be safe and smart. Love you!

    • Posted April 27, 2012 at 3:28 pm by Jamie | Permalink

      Hey Aunt Nancy, thanks for the comments…i’ll write you on facebook so you’ll definitely see it :)

  6. Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:25 pm by Aunt Nancy | Permalink

    Hi Jamie, I just looked at your itineray. You will be at Capazon PO to pick up supplies. We are going to Palm Springs the 10th of May
    if you are behind your schedule. I will meet you. Also, I will have a package for you at the PO in Capazon before your expected arrivial. What do you need and want?? Hugs, Aunt Nancy

  7. Posted April 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm by leslie | Permalink

    What an adventure. I hope you two continue to have an amazing trip. I wish i was there.Have fun.

    luck, love and hugs to you both

  8. Posted April 25, 2012 at 7:27 pm by Briza | Permalink

    Hey Jaime, i am a friend of Michael’s parents and they sent me your blog and i really enjoyed reading it! What an adventure! Keep it up and have a great time!

  9. Posted May 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm by Angie Roppo | Permalink

    Jamie! Mike! Jeff! I hope today is a good day for you. Jamie and Mike, I’ve been dedicating my pushups to you in boot camp! I miss your faces! Jamie…I love reading your updates! This experience sounds just amazing. Sending you lots of good vibes…be safe…enjoy. – Angie

  10. Posted May 3, 2012 at 7:31 pm by Todd | Permalink

    Great blog Jamie! Thanks for keeping us along for the trip, and keep it up! Hopefully we can catch you guys when you’re in Aqua Dulce to feed you and maybe put in a few kilometers. BTW the Spot is working great!


  11. Posted May 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm by Stephanie Masar | Permalink

    This has been so interesting to read. Please stay safe!

  12. Posted May 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm by Radvan | Permalink

    Hey guys hope all is well out there, saw some awesome pics from the trail on facebook, love Mikes beard cant wait to see the end result…. hope to see you guys soon make sure you take a shower before hand haha

    • Posted May 12, 2012 at 4:01 am by Anonymous | Permalink

      haha….yeah, mike’s neck beard is epic! also, yeah, you DEFINITELY want us to take a shower before coming in any sort of contact with you.

  13. Posted June 2, 2012 at 3:59 am by Grandma | Permalink

    I have been reading your daily experiences and wow I am amazed for your determination, fortitude to keep on trucking on your various trails, you both are awesome, so glad to hear you do get to relax, bath, eat well, have lodging, time with family, friends as I am sure all this walking is tough at times and hard on the body, so taking a break and being good to yourselves is important. Luv you both lots, Grandma Helen

  14. Posted June 26, 2012 at 4:00 am by Grandma | Permalink

    Wow I wrote a long comment , the screen shut down, as I opened up your web site, this comment was black. Should I have saved it somehow

  15. Posted July 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm by Grandma | Permalink

    Hey Jamie,
    A friend of mine, her daughter, is doing this Pacific Trail, basically alone. She told her Mom would be nice to have a girl to talk to along the trail. Her trail name is Blood Bank. I don’t know yours.. I told my friend MIchael’s was Doc, is that correct. Anyway if there is any way you could connect with this gal, would be great for her,. Her mom will be hiking with her this Thurs, FRi and Sat. Her name is Michele..Congradulations, as you both have walked a long way. Both so Awesome!!

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>